AuthorMessage
TGDave
True Noob
True Noob

PostSubject: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:12 pm

1.) Please tell us your Account name.####, Age, Global Location/Time Zone
DaveGan.8065
Iowa/Central Time

2.) Please list the names of your characters, their levels and professions.
Transgender Dave - 80 Ranger
Transgender Dave - 80 Guardian
Transgender Dave - 80 Warrior
Transgender Dave - ~50 Mesmer

*Aside from the ranger, the other characters have accents on one of the letters

3.) What MMO games have you played in the past? Do you still play them?
Guild Wars 1, 6+ years (if it counts) - do not still play

4.) Please rank each of the following aspects of Guild Wars 2 in order of importance to you. (1=Lowest, 5=Highest)

1 High Level or Challenging areas (most likely with a group, ie: end game content and dungeons)
2 PvP or WvWvWa. Story/Lore
3 Extracurricular Activities such as crafting, (power) trading, chatting (theorycrafting)
4 General casual play
5 Exploration/Cartography

I do value 1-3 significantly more than 4-5

5.) Please explain why you would like to join ToA.

Done a decent amount of runs with ToA members
ToA appears to have many high level players that do not let elitism and extreme efficiency take away from fun and enjoyment

6.) How did you hear about ToA? Do you know anyone in ToA? Please list their name(s).

Many runs with Perf/Lisa/Matti/Ana, some more with others
(Perf and Lisa I know from back in GW1)

7.) Do you have Teamspeak and a headset with microphone?

Yes. I've been on the ToA TS as well.

8.) How often do you play Guild Wars 2? Hours per day? Days per week?

2-4 hours a day, possibly a bit more on weekends

9.) Did you play Guild Wars 1? (If Yes, please tell us your character names and what guilds you were in.)

Yes. Mains were Dave Spams C Space (pve/pvp warrior) and Transgender Dave (pvp ranger)
No notable guilds in GW1

10.) Please tell us what is most important to you in a guild. Be specific.

Members who strive to be at a high level, but not at the cost of having fun
Members who are willing to help others get to that high level
Minimal drama

11.) Any additional comments you would like to add.

I am currently on the Fort Aspenwood server. I still have a few friends that I pug WvW with from time to time, and I would like to stay on this server unless/until ToA becomes more WvW focused.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Broken Arietta

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:17 pm

Main issue I see is if you're planning on staying on a different server is the only events you can participate in are the dungeons.

Dar
Jungle Troll
Jungle Troll

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Broken Arietta wrote:
Main issue I see is if you're planning on staying on a different server is the only events you can participate in are the dungeons.

I've done dungeons with you before, and from my experience you are a good player. Like Becca, this would be my main issue. We may do a lot of dungeons, but that isn't all that we do. We have events where we clear areas as a guild and do WvW. These are events that you would have to be on our server to participated in.

Even tho I've done runs with you before, If you're not willing to switch servers then I have to /deny your application.

Bridge Troll
Bridge Troll

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:38 pm

I concur with the above statements and will have to deny unless you change your mind and switch servers.

Last edited by Skittles on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Perf
Jungle Troll
Jungle Troll

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm

I don't see staying on different servers as a determining issue in accepting an application. We have at least a dozen people in guild who are not on our server, if you use that mentality to accept applications you might as well kick all of them. being part of a guild is being part of a group. You are still able to participate in many of the guilds day to day activities (the majority of our non scheduled guild activities are dungeons). This combined with the fact that you're a strong player and you have quite a few friends in the guild already should be more then enough to approve this application.

Jungle Troll
Jungle Troll

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm

This guy knows his stuff and would be a very good addition to our guild even if he stayed on that server for the time being.

If you look at our roster at the moment, there are a lot of people that don't rep very often or at all, and with the majority of activity going on in dungeons/fractals it should not form any problem to have Dave join in on groups.

I assume that eventually the guesting system is gonna work?

And I've played with plenty of people in dungeons that I barely see playing in the map completion events.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rider
Jungle Troll
Jungle Troll

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Yes, there are members who are on other servers. There has also recently been a number of members who were on other servers being moved to an "alliance" role in the guild in an effort to clean up the roster. This would be a step against a recent push.

On the other hand, I have been on a run with Dave (CoE) and he was an adept player and very sociable. A good fit for the guild.

My suggestion is this. Accept Dave as an "Alliance" member. He will be able to represent, read and participate in guild chat, and everything else a normal member could do (apart from guild stash withdrawals and treasure trove deposits). If he later decides to come over to our server, then he will be promoted to member with much cheering and rejoicing.

It is up to higher powers than myself as to whether he should be a probationeer first or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Perf
Jungle Troll
Jungle Troll

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:19 pm

I agree with what Ryder said. I can understand the issue with having our members spread out between servers, I think putting Dave as an "ally" would be a suitable designation. Dave has participated in many dungeon runs with us and if he has an interest in being able to have access to guild chat in order to participate in more runs I think we should grant that, This could potentially peak his interest to perhaps change servers when "WvW night" comes around.

Needs To Get Off The Forum

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:44 pm

As mentioned above, you will be unable to participate in general PvE events if you are not on Dragonbrand -- but I have a feeling that the elusive "guesting" feature will make it's appearance sometime soon. Until it does, I would agree with Rider for accepting you in as Alliance.

Once guesting becomes available, we can move to member.

I would wave probation if coming in as alliance.

Your friendly Legion Of Doom [LOD] liaison <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie Gifu
How do you play without Shadow Form?
How do you play without Shadow Form?

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:50 pm

The few runs I have done with Dave have been fairly enjoyable and I think he would make a good fit. Alliance rank seems like the way to go since he wont be moving to our server.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:08 pm

Not being on the same server means you'll miss out on things, but if that's fine with you that's fine with me. Sounds like you're a solid player and you get a +1 from me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drake
Bridge Troll
Bridge Troll

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:46 pm

-1 for me.

High end PvE is what the guild does the most. Being on another server really cuts into the amount of things you'll be able to do with the guild. Not to mention the other events we like to do as a guild.

There's a reason we want members to be on the same server and if we start making exceptions, people will notice that and then more people might attempt to do this. To me, refusing to come to the guilds server means that person seems to only want to use the guild when they need it and not to really become a part of it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skittles
Bridge Troll
Bridge Troll

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Drake brings up a valuable point. We should want members that can commit to our guild and do similar in game activities as us. The reason he won't switch servers is for WvW which is currently not an activity that we do actively with the exception of one night a week. Even if someone is on another server and can do dungeons I would likely invite them dead last before people who have shown the commitment as those who have switched servers and represent constantly.

This is nothing personal Dave. I don't doubt your skill level or your character but I do feel that if WvW is your current priority then a WvW guild would better suit you. I do not see ToA becoming a WvW guild anytime soon. If you simply want to join for dungeon runs then I would not mind putting you on friends list for a filler.

Sorry but I still hold my /deny unless you decide to change servers.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:26 pm

+1 for alliance status

Admin

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:36 am

Leadership had a conference about this tonight.
We would like to bring you in as Alliance status. Many of us have run with you before and know that you are a skilled player.

What we would like to see you do is rep with us often, we aren't concerned with you gaining influence for us but we want you to see our activity and be able to join our runs without getting pm'ed by Perf, matti, etc..

Hopefully our activity will persuade you to join our server. Our guild events are incredibly fun and our WvW presence will probably grow. Our current WvW events are something that many look forward to. They are a lot of fun.

True Noob
True Noob

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks to all for their honest opinions, even the negative ones, and coming to what I feel is a good compromise. I let the thread run a bit for everyone to speak their minds, and now I wanted to clarify/elaborate on a few things to clear up any potential misunderstandings or bad feelings:

* WvW is not the #1 priority for me as some of you seemed to be thinking. I made that clear by putting it at #2 under high level PvE. I honestly just do it a few times a week. The difference is that I can do high end PvE with ToA and WvW with old friends while on FA, but not on DB. This said, I am not closed to changing servers. Dragonbrand appears to be in a fairly competitive WvW bracket itself, so if/when I feel more comfortable with the guild and make more friends with people on DB, transferring is a very real possibility.

* There is no new precedent that is set by approving my application. As Perf and Matti mentioned, I would not be the first non-DB person in the guild, so either the precedent has already been set, or it just does not exist.

* I believe loyalty is a characteristic that defines some people, not something that they hold to certain groups while disregarding everything else. I looked at the sticky on the application forum and nowhere did I find a section that required transferring servers (although admittedly, it was weakly implied). My volunteering the bit about WvW despite this was to intended to demonstrate openness, clarity, and honesty; not deception nor ambiguity (I think straight-up leaving my friends on FA would have been a slap in the face to them, and possibly even look something similar to guild-hopping). As time passes, I may be able to tell my FA friends that I find Dragonbrand to be a better fit for me, and possibly even get some to come as well.

* Finally, I think dedication/commitment to ToA is best measured by representation, and not home server. The guild is much more than dungeons, map completion, or other in-game events. There is guild chat itself, as well as TS and the forums, and I feel I can be involved in a lot of this even from another server.

I look forward to seeing you all in game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Broken Arietta

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:36 pm

^mature response

/+1 to alliance

Frosty

PostSubject: Re: App for ToA (TG Dave)   Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Invited as alliance 12.4.12

No probation.